09 Nov Easy Ways to Save Money Around the House
Posted at 16:37h in Blog, Money Saving Tips 0 Comments
With our busy lives, running one place to the next, some people feel that it’s impossible to save money. However, it’s actually a lot simpler than you think! By being more cautious and doing (or not doing) these things around the house, you can easily save a lump sum of money!
- Skip the takeout and try out meal planning. Set aside one day every week and plan your meals for the whole week. This will save you from spending money on takeout when you already have the ingredients in your fridge for a home cooked meal.
- Unplug. This is a hard thing to get in the habit of doing but you should always try to unplug appliances when you are not using them. Even if they are off, they are still using electricity when plugged in. This small amount can add up overtime.
- Subscribe to a Sunday paper. This may seem like an additional expense at first but the Sunday paper is always guaranteed to be packed with coupons. These coupons will save you money on grocery shopping so you’ll receive a return on your investment in no time. If you don’t like the idea of a physical paper, check out the app: Grocery Smarts.
- Get rid of unwanted clothes. Go through your closet every 3 months or once per season. If you haven’t worn a piece of clothing since you last went through your closet, get rid of it (except for seasonal items, of course). Take all of your unwanted clothes to your local consignment shop, you may get more money for them than you think!
- Ditch your cable subscription. With all of the online streaming subscriptions out there, there’s no reason to pay for cable. If you have Netflix and Hulu plus, you can still watch all of your favorite shows! With streaming subscriptions, you also have more control over what your children are viewing.
- Stop buying bottled water. It’s not only bad for the environment, it’s also bad for your wallet. Install a sink filter or invest in a Brita filter and you’ll never have to buy bottled water for your house again!
- Use cold water for washing your clothes. Save money by cleaning your clothes in cold water instead of warm. Your clothes will be just as clean and you won’t have to separate the whites and colors.
What are some of your favorite ways to save money around the house? Let us know!